Tuesday, February 28, 2017 | 7 PM
Utah Symphony invites community musicians to take part in our fifth Utah Symphony Pro-Am. Interested adult musicians may apply online for an opportunity to rehearse and perform side-by-side with Utah Symphony musicians and Associate Conductor Rei Hotoda on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 on stage in Abravanel Hall. The repertoire this year is Strauss' Overture to Die Fledermaus and the fourth movement of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5.
December 2 | Applications available online (link below)
January 6 | Application deadline
January 13 | Accepted musicians will be informed through email
January 27 | $25 registration fee due
January 31 | Music will be sent through email
February 28 | 7 PM Utah Symphony Pro-Am Rehearsal and Performance
Please be aware: there will NOT be any rehearsals before February 28. Musicians are individually responsible for preparing before the February 28th event.
Applications will be accepted December 2- January 6 for the following instruments:
Flute 1, 2, 3/Piccolo (One Flute may not play in the Strauss)
Oboe 1, 2
Clarinet 1, 2
Bassoon 1, 2
Horn 1, 2, 3, 4
Trumpet 1, 2
Trombone 1, 2, 3 (Bass Trombone)
Tuba (Tuba only plays in the Tchaikovksy)
Percussion (only plays in Strauss)
- Musicians may apply for more than one instrument or seat position. You need only submit one application.
- Wind and brass players may specify a preference for chair seating (1st, 2nd, etc.); we will try to accommodate such requests.
- Applications will NOT be accepted for instruments not scored in the selected works.
- Musicians who have substituted for Utah Symphony musicians in the last 10 years are ineligible for this event.
- This opportunity is intended for adult musicians who are activitely playing their instrument.
- This opportunity is not intended for musicians under 21 years of age or those students pursuing a bachelor's degree.
- Musicians who played in past Symphony Pro-Ams may apply. Preference will be given to qualified musicians who have not yet participated in this event.
USUO staff will review applications and select participants. Applications are evaluated according to experience in and passion for orchestral music.
By January 13, 2017, applicants who have been selected will be contacted through email. Accepted musicians must submit a confirmation form and a $25 registration fee by January 27 to reserve their space in the orchestra. Music will be sent by January 31 to those musicians who have paid the reservation fee.
Musicians are expected to prepare individually and be ready to rehearse and perform on February 28. Both "Pro" and "Am" musicians will rehearse together onstage at Abravenal Hall. After intermission, the group will perform the pieces without interruption. The audience is invited to watch both the rehearsal process and a final performance.
All confirmed participants will receive 1 complimentary ticket to the event to share with a guest.
Tickets will be for sale through the Utah Symphony Box Office at 801-533-NOTE. Tickets are $10 for adults and free for students under 18 years of age. All audience members must have a ticket.
Audiences members are welcome to arrive at 7 PM to watch the rehearsal section of the evening, or they can arrive at intermission in order to only watch any remaining rehearsal and the performance section.